It's been awhile – Six new videos!? (#29)
Lee Robinson / April 06, 2021
4 min read
It's been over a month since my last update, so I'm excited to share a bunch of new content. As always, feel free to reach out if you're curious to hear more about anything shared below.
- Next.js 10.1 was released with 3x faster refresh, 58% smaller install size, 56% less dependencies, WebAssembly Image Optimization, improved
next/imagesupport, and more. I can't believe Next.js is getting 20x faster, with a real-time dev experience coming soon.
- I've previously shared my Tweets page, which uses the Twitter API to statically generate all my tweets. I recently found a neat library called react-static-tweets which provides an NPM package for this.
- I love seeing what the community builds with Next.js. I was particularly impressed with this Clubhouse clone using WebRTC and WebSockets / Serverless demo with a chat application.
- If you're using Tailwind CSS, I highly recommend using to
v2.1and using the JIT engine. This makes local development about 10x faster, especially with large projects.
- Next.js Commerce added support for Shopify, which is pretty neat. Sanity has also created an incredible e-commerce starter with Next/Vercel/Shopify.
- I created a demo showing how to login with Touch ID on the web!
My favorite update is this high-performance blog starter I created. It allows you to write posts in Markdown/MDX and automatically categorizes posts using tags. It has lots of goodies built-in: an RSS feed, optimized images and fonts, and more. Create your own with
npx create-next-app -e blog 🚀
- Let's Talk about Developer Careers – Learn about my journey as a developer and how I've grown throughout my career. I also answer questions about hiring, growing in your career, and getting promoted!
- Using Docker with Next.js (and Deploying with Google Cloud Run) – Learn how to build, run, and deploy a Next.js application using Docker and Google Cloud Run in under 10 minutes.
- Using Serverless Redis with Next.js – Learn how to deploy your own Redis & Next.js app in a few short minutes with Upstash and Vercel. It's also available as a blog post if you prefer. The demo shown in the video is a product feature roadmap. Users can create/upvote features, which are ranked by their score.
I've also tried to clone a few websites, just for fun:
- Tesla Clone – This was a fun behind-the-scenes video as I tried to rebuild the car builder portion of tesla.com with Tailwind.
- Netflix Clone – Per request from Twitter, watch live as I build a clone of the Netflix.com landing page using Next.js, Tailwind (including the JIT engine), and
next-authto authenticate with Google.
- Airbnb Clone – I joined a live stream with Contentful building an "Airbnb style" application with Contentful and Next.js. It turned out to be more of a great introduction to using Next.js with a CMS instead of exactly like Airbnb.
Over the past two months, I brought 13 different guests on my YouTube live stream for a series of chats about React, Vue, Svelte, WebGL, Accessibility, Design Systems, Non-Tech Hangouts, and more!
- Next.js and Serverless (with Nader Dabit)
- Building Online Courses (with Kati Frantz)
- The Future of the Front-End (with Pedro Duarte)
- Tuesday Hangout (with Lindsay Levine and Cassidy Williams)
- The Future of Chakra UI (with Segun Adebayo)
- Education & E-Commerce (with Rachael Thompson)
- The Future of the Web (with David East)
- Immersive Web Experiences (with Bruno Simon)
- Headless CMS, Nuxt, and Vue.js! (with Lucie Haberer)
- The Future of Search (with Sarah Dayan)
- Data Visualization & DX (with Amelia Wattenberger)
- The Future of Mixed Reality (with Adora Nwodo)
Subscribe to the newsletter
Get emails from me about web development, tech, and early access to new articles.
- subscribers – 31 issues